TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 156
  • Total: 156

Extra line feeds in FTP'd files.

Started by Freddy, August 26, 2011, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddy

I've been curious about this for a while.  Sometimes when I download a file from my server using FTP, I get a file with extra line feeds, sometimes quite a few between each line.  Does anyone else get that or know why that may be. At first I thought it was due to hacking but I don't think it is.

It's easy to repair with Notepad++, but I still wonder why it happens.  :-\

IchBin

I'm not sure which program is causing it, but it's usually caused by an editor not treating the line/carriage returns improperly. That's why in notepad++ you can convert the line endings to fix it. Not sure what exactly the cause of it. I've noticed the same problem on this site when opening many of the files.

Skhilled

I've noticed it over the past few years myself. Never found out what was causing it but assumed it was a server issue. Sometimes, it happens while other times it does not. Then again, I've noticed that it only seems to happen on certain servers.

Freddy

Thanks guys, well at least it seems like nothing to worry about. I thought it might be FileZilla, but who knows.

Lesmond

When you say file I assume you mean a php/text file? but I cant say that I have ever seen this before Rog, and I have used filezilla for a few years now.

Freddy

Yes php files mainly.  I'm just guessing Les.

IchBin

It's usually the text editor that causes it. When line endings are treated differently, then the file is saved it shows all borked up when open with an editor that doesn't treat the line endings the same way. I've seen editors do it all too often.

Skhilled

I strictly use Filezilla over the past 2 years but have also seen it happen with conTEXT. The last server I was on it happened a lot but only twice so far on the one I'm on now. But then again, I 've upgraded Filezilla a few times since then.