TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:53:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 189
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

Thoughts about future TP

Started by G6Cad, August 21, 2014, 07:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G6Cad

Quote from: bloc on August 20, 2014, 04:47:36 PM

But are such changes something one can demand from themes that belong to a person no longer with us...? I feel its not. The energy it takes to do that, should better be spent on creating new themes instead.

That was somewhat what i tried to say before. It would be better to use the time in hand to make new things, instead of wasting time on the past. We all know that it´s not that very hard to give support on the new things, on new questions regarding the portal things. But the support to users always wanted to change everything we worked on was horrid at times. I know I´m for one felt "cant you just for ONCE be happy with the free things you already have?"  :knuppel2:

Quote from: bloc on August 20, 2014, 04:47:36 PM

What always bugged me is the amount of mods that rely on default theme looking exactly as it was created(you all know this, I ranted enough about it lol)..it has always kept "theme frameworks" from really emerging. "Master themes" which themers could create subthemes from, making the theme creation process faster and more creative. The "variants" feature is a joke - yes, it is really - and just changing css is a bit lacking in creating what you seek.

This got  me thinking, with the changes in TP thats about to happend, cant you make the TP do what YOU like to see? It´s hard to explain, but cant you "undo" the things in SMF you dont like, and make TP a whole concept fork for SMF, So when someone install TP, they would not just get TP, but a whole new concept BASED on SMF ?
Kind of what you did and still do on your own site? ( even if it´s not there right now )
So if you stip out the things you dont like in SMF,  and make TP do what you want to see when we install TP.

Sorry if this dont come out the way you could understand what i  try to say, been a long week on the road, the rain here in Sweden have been awful so both roads and comunitys has been closed down because of overflowing water. Had to take roads around this so many hours later, and about 700km more then usuall, i finally arrived to the destination for offload. after that, 9 hours well needed sleep before i drive home for the weekend tomorrow. Takes it´s told to be awake for 51 hours straight  :uglystupid2:

Maxx1

The Protendo  look and feel,  comes to mind, for me or a way to get out the ordinary SMF looks and feel...something with that today's look lol!

No title bars and clutter, just good clean content, or at least the option to do so...
I like very much TP and it has what others have not, but if you continue along the same lines, I would ask, to make the CSS transparent or inherit the themes style,in the bg colors, so it's seamless... but the features are great (can't be beat) att !

With all this said, I'm sure Bloc has something good in mind!

Please note that, the about the above, is allot of theme related stuff, but just saying!

regards,
Maxx
But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

Maxx1

This only a test, but you will see what I'm getting at and this is embed in the TP upper panel, you can click with in or open in this frame only, this a new system I testing, looks very nice to me, however is lack in some thing that can bee improved with some work, on the side panel below feeds, this a widget; a bit of over kill but one the cats are increase it will not be, most of the theme is done with Bootstrap code. ans has about 10 or more styles to choose from. The forum platform needs much work but it is moving forward >>
But like Bloc projects I've seen it has the Now looks and feel and allot room to work, This where I'd realy like SMF to work toward.

http://smf.surfacethemes.com/index.php?action=forum

Just testing... It's what I do!

Regards,
Maxx

bloc

Great looking part there, Maxx..a clean and dark look that feels modern.

And to both..I see what you mean, to somehow merge Protendo features and TP. Theres a major difference though, one I haven't quite found a solution for: in Protendo *everything* is a topic, with extra stuff added. In TP all content is *outside* topics(well, topics are tied into downlaod somewhat)

So should TP go for using topics - which may prove hard for articles - or just using external content, like now? Of course one could do both...but I feel as a mod the content should really not interfere with regaulr forum content - when the mod is uninstalled there should be a easy way "back". 

But yes, I have already given it some thought. It could go as far as provide its own "default" theme, to make best use of the rewritten templates and CSS I have in Protendo. But it will prob. be hard to be compatible with other mods then..

bloc

Splitted the topic, so the Jeff's theme topic stays on that.

Maxx1

Thanks for splitting things and sorry for that...But as far we are concerned, I feel we maybe limited to what we can do my SMF it's self and the complications of the coding... Please don't get me wrong, I still think that SMF is the Tops, it may just be to boated.. I don't know that much about these things, but what about plugs in type stuff or widgets/gadgets or what every you may want to name them... I would really love to see SMF go into the future!

The one I linked to, has like you had the ability to have Cats, Announcements and Blog like and Widgets as well, yes it's limited some what but some of coder like you Guys can make things better, than they are, without conflict form all the Drama involved elsewhere again JMHO!

And some time less is better lol!

regards,
Maxx

bloc

I'll try getting ideas and possibilities sorted for myself, before going in any specific direction. :)

bloc

Quote from: G6Cad on August 21, 2014, 07:40:32 AM
Sorry if this dont come out the way you could understand what i  try to say, been a long week on the road, the rain here in Sweden have been awful so both roads and comunitys has been closed down because of overflowing water. Had to take roads around this so many hours later, and about 700km more then usuall, i finally arrived to the destination for offload. after that, 9 hours well needed sleep before i drive home for the weekend tomorrow. Takes it´s told to be awake for 51 hours straight  :uglystupid2:

Wow, you really do some long stretches, Carina :) How do you keep yourself awake when eyes start to feel heavy? I used to drive 700-800km in one swoop..but then it was another week or at least some days before going south again. And that was just in a regular car. Driving a truck is much more work I would reckon.

G6Cad

Quote from: bloc on August 21, 2014, 07:41:39 PM

Wow, you really do some long stretches, Carina :) How do you keep yourself awake when eyes start to feel heavy? I used to drive 700-800km in one swoop..but then it was another week or at least some days before going south again. And that was just in a regular car. Driving a truck is much more work I would reckon.

Malmö-Stockholm-Oslo (Norge)-Göteborg-Malmö times 2 for 5 days driving with 2 drivers. 3400km/week if we stay on our route.
We drive 30h straight and then rest 9 hours, then another 30h drive 9 hours rest and then again last drive 30 hours straight. After 3, 30h drive we go home and have 36h rest, then we start over again.
It´s not all the time we are wake 50+ hours, but this week have been horrid with all the rain, flooded several cities with blocked roads as result. We hade to take other roads toget around it so we could get to our offload places.
Driving a truck is great, you have like a livingroom haha, we have fridge, freeer, tv, radio, nicrowave, coffemaker etc. The chair and beds are almost better then home hahaha
Just woke up here and have to start up and drive to malmö again. Are infact in Norway now hahaha 561km from home :) About 9 hours drive and then we have weekend off :D

bloc

Drive safely. :) Sounds like you have all you need in that truck hehe. :D