TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 88
  • Total: 88

Should past TP versions be available as downloads? (v0.9.8 to v1.0beta4)

Started by Lesmond, May 08, 2010, 11:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelufias

it never occured to me that having the older versions handy would be a good thing ...especially if they install the newer version on older smf and don't like it.

I always keep a copy of the older one (1 behind the latest) to reinstall if something goes wrong or if I need to check a file for something....just to snoop and learn...lol

so I guess having it there is a good thing after all with the disclaimer that no support is given anymore. Just  :knuppel2: me...but I love this software totally and it is very secure.

lurkalot

Oops, looks like someone else has changed their vote to no. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far it seems like the voting is users versus the TP team at the moment. lol.. :)

pvcblue

Quote from: lurkalot on May 18, 2010, 06:28:49 PM
Oops, looks like someone else has changed their vote to no. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far it seems like the voting is users versus the TP team at the moment. lol.. :)

Sorry but you're corrected, I am not a TP Team Member. Just a plain old user here and I voted NO.

"Smurfs, Smurfs, and More Smurfs!"

JPDeni

QuoteCorrect me if I'm wrong, but so far it seems like the voting is users versus the TP team at the moment. lol..

You might be right about a general trend, but I'm part of the Team and I voted "Yes" (I originally voted "It doesn't matter" but changed it).

DarkAngel612

I am not team member or the creation process either...I just come in to bug with sometimes idiotic questions or cosmetic questions to  make minor changes...

or when the software gives me an error I know nothing of where to find or how to fix it.I too at first said get rid of them but then of course I have the previous version on my computer along with the current versions but if a person has never used the TP it might be useful to have the older versions to learn on.

On the other hand sometimes learning from a current version is better, having fresh usage vs the ability to have had a workable TP then get the new one and find that things are totally different (placement of admin controls and such) in the new ones....but that is just me and I confuse real easy.

I love this software and never tell anyone to get any other type.

Crip

i'm a long time user of TP .. 7.0 / 6.5 .. ? ..way back ..Lol..  and saw it change in places , each TP_version has it's goods & not so good changes ..ya know?
..truth is , TP_v098 is my personal Fav of all , I knoW it well inside - out .. it has all i need or use ... we all love TP that's why were here..  my 2Ã,¢
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

ZarPrime

Well, the voting seems to be somewhat inconclusive if you ask me.  Ultimately, since this isn't really a democracy, the final decision will be up to Bloc.  It seems that enough people voted "Yes" to warrant that this be further discussed on the Team Board.  There seems to be some sentiment to having the older versions available for download but I'm still not in favor of making these older versions readily available simply because of the support issue.  If we can make everyone understand that the older versions are deprecated and won't be supported so that we won't have to have 10 different test sites setup to support them, I am not so sure that having the older versions available is such a bad idea.

ZarPrime

stog

0.98 is not secure unfortunately, i had a sneaky shell injection problem this week which resulted in major permission gain, with a rewrite of index.php. i had been putting off upgrading - as it worked well but this was the second semi-successful attack and we could not afford to compromise the other sites (the attack included password cracking etc

the files have been forwarded to smf

big thx to Zar for supporting me through a hectic 24 hours upgrading - but all is well so thx again

IchBin

Quote from: stog on May 22, 2010, 11:17:42 PM
0.98 is not secure unfortunately, i had a sneaky shell injection problem this week which resulted in major permission gain, with a rewrite of index.php. i had been putting off upgrading - as it worked well but this was the second semi-successful attack and we could not afford to compromise the other sites (the attack included password cracking etc

the files have been forwarded to smf

big thx to Zar for supporting me through a hectic 24 hours upgrading - but all is well so thx again

So how do you know it was TP 0.9.8 that is the problem? Just because the file was in the TP folder, doesn't mean it was a TP problem. Instead of making the claim, why not investigate and help us find out what the problem is so that we can fix it? Shells can be put on a server in about a thousand different ways. If there is a way for this shell to put in as you say, it could likely be that the same problem would exist in the newer version of TP.

stog