TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 146
  • Total: 147
  • @rjen

Keep a 'Tally' in a block?

Started by VladTepes, May 22, 2017, 05:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladTepes

I was on a forum where they had a 'tally' feature.

It was an SMF 1.x forum and worked kind of like a poll.. sort of.

Basically it had a list of options with a tally being kept against each, and users could add to the total tally throughout the year. 

It was/is a hunting forum and the feature allowed us to keep a tally of the number of feral animals culled by members, by state, during the year.

Say I shoot 30 rabbits in Qld - I then go into the and select those options / complete the relevant fields.

It would create a spreadsheet with this data, and from that some graphs which could be viewed on the forum.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for this, it would be appreciated....

Cheers

P.S. I don't want this to degenerate or become a discussion of anyone's feelings on hunting etc.  It's a programming issue so let's keep it at that please :)

illori

you would need to find a 3rd party script to do what you want. by default TP does not have a block that can do what you want.

VladTepes

I though that would likely be the case.

I am hoping to get my hands on some or all of the files which were involved - seems there was some php, some html and that possibly some of the output was done in flash.  Obviously a different means will need to be found to do what the flash component used to do.

I am unsure as to whether there were actually any changes to the SMF database. Hopefully not.

If I am able to recreate it, I think that doing so as a TP block might be a good way to do it?  OR would an SMF mod (official or otherwise) perhaps be a better approach?

I'm no coding expert, just rank amateur so I am hoping there might be someone out there wants to take this on voluntarily as a bit of a project.

Anyway I'll have a look at the files if/when I can get them and go from there.

VladTepes

OP updated with exact usage.

I have got the various files now (haven't had a chance to look at them as yet - work firewall issue  ;D ) but hopefully it wouldn't be a MAJOR problem for someone familiar with PHP / html5 to get this up and running.  I just need to find that "someone"   8)