TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 190
  • Total: 191
  • illori

new forum

Started by Shadow, July 29, 2011, 03:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

I got a new forum now.

It's nice getting back into thing's now. :)

Skhilled

I know, I took a look at it yesterday. :)

Shadow

What do you think about it?

I am kicking my butt right now because I am still getting the feel for TP and SMF have change alot too

Skhilled

Quote from: Shadow on August 21, 2011, 09:39:20 AM
What do you think about it?

Needs more info but off to a good start. :)

For instance, you have a lot of empty boards. You need to fill them with good info relating the the subject of those boards. ;)

Quote from: Shadow on August 21, 2011, 09:39:20 AM
I am kicking my butt right now because I am still getting the feel for TP and SMF have change alot too

A lot has changed since you've been around for SMF and TP, particularly SMF 2. I suggest that you create a test site with just smf 2 and no mods. Play with it until you get used to all of the new features. Then install TP and do the same. It will help get you up to speed faster.

Sometimes when you install mods they take over the default SMF settings and features. It makes it harder to tell SMF from the mods you have installed. When you have a problem you will not know if the problem is with SMF or the mod.

Shadow

The down fall is I can't create a test site because I am on free hosting with Bigguy. I would love too but can't. I really like to get use to SMF again. Huh, I'm up the creek about creating a test site. :(

Do you mind leaning your hand to me about tip's, tick, info, to get people to join the site please? SO I can get a swing on thing's again?

Skhilled

Quote from: Skhilled on August 21, 2011, 09:52:00 AM
For instance, you have a lot of empty boards. You need to fill them with good info relating the the subject of those boards. ;)

That is the most important info I can give you. No matter how good your site looks, if you do not have enough relevant info to keep people coming back you are fighting a losing battle. Having a site that looks good may get people there but the internet is all about information. You must provide GOOD info that people will want as well as keeping it updated regularly. This will depend on the site you are trying to create as well as the people you are trying to attract to your site.

For instance, if you go to a site that says it is about cooking and you find only a few recipes and no info on cooking techniques, cookware, seasonal dishes, etc. would you go back? What would you tell everyone else about that site? This is how people will view your site and judge it.

Things like that have very profound impact on your site. You have very little info in the boards such as music, computers, smf and portals, anime, etc. There is a lot going on right now in those areas. You must add those things to your site so people can find that information at your site rather than going to another site for the same info.

So, you need to think carefully about what topics/subjects you want at your site. You should/will be adding current info all of the time. It is not the job of your members to provide that info, it is yours. :)

You will also need to make sure things as well written so even a child can understand them and learn from it.

As far as getting people to your site, find someone to create a good sig and avatar. Visit other sites that allow you to post your site there and show off your avatar. People will eventually check it out.

WillyP

The links to topics on the front pages are all broken, the code is not creating the link correctly:

http://mykingdom.smfhelper.net/"http://mykingdom.smfhelper.net/index.php?topic=70.msg113;topicseen#new"

Shadow

I was using a code for the fornt page

QuoteClassic Recent Topics Written by Bloc
The older classic recent topics news from TP v0.9.8.