TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 235
  • Total: 235

Shoutbox username colors & avatars

Started by Afer, April 01, 2017, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illori

Quote from: lurkalot on April 01, 2017, 11:51:39 PM
Thanks.  Ok had a play on there. It appears there is a bug in the shoutbox when using the optional layout.  This was designed to be a bit more minimal and take up less space by removing the bubbles. The usernames should still be linked to the profiles as in the first layout.  Also noticed it adds scrollbars where the first layout doesn't.

i dont think it is a bug, but as it is more minimal this was removed as part of that. it may be something that can be looked into and changed but not sure how many actually use that layout to make it worth the effort to change it.

lurkalot

Quote from: illori on April 02, 2017, 11:20:48 AM
Quote from: lurkalot on April 01, 2017, 11:51:39 PM
Thanks.  Ok had a play on there. It appears there is a bug in the shoutbox when using the optional layout.  This was designed to be a bit more minimal and take up less space by removing the bubbles. The usernames should still be linked to the profiles as in the first layout.  Also noticed it adds scrollbars where the first layout doesn't.

i dont think it is a bug, but as it is more minimal this was removed as part of that. it may be something that can be looked into and changed but not sure how many actually use that layout to make it worth the effort to change it.

Thanks illori. 

I think people tend to use this layout stretched across the page, more of a chat thing. I'm not sure when the profile link was removed from the posters username, I'm pretty sure it was there originally when Brad added the second layout.  The thumbnail image for that layout also suggest this, by showing the group colour on the username. 
I use Simple color SimpleColorizer on all my sites and on here too and that seems to be the only pace that doesn't pick it up.  The SimpleColorizer works fine with default shoutbox layout.

Edit:  For what it's worth, and I know it'll never happen. I still believe TP could do with a dedicated chat sys, which can run independently from the shoutbox.  Especially handy for team discussions or that kind of thing.

lurkalot

Also. forgot to mention tis bit. If you look at the shout edit page, the usernames take on the link and the group colour regardless of what shoutbox layout you use. So it would be good to have this consistent throughout imo. 

Afer

the simple colorizer mod works with shout as long as the 'bubble' is activated - without bubble active, it doesn't affect the username colors at all. The bubbles look fine but take up a lot of room in the window imo.

lurkalot

Quote from: Afer on April 02, 2017, 01:33:46 PM
the simple colorizer mod works with shout as long as the 'bubble' is activated - without bubble active, it doesn't affect the username colors at all. The bubbles look fine but take up a lot of room in the window imo.

Yep, exactly.  I'm just curious as to when it stopped working on that layout, I'm convinced it used to at some point.  That second layout was added to TP1.1 and I tested TP1.1 locally and it's not working in that either.  So either I'm wrong and it never worked, or it did at some point during testing.

illori

TPShout.template.php

<div class="shout_options">
' . $row['realName'] . ':

Code (replace with) Select
<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=profile;u=' . $row['value5'] . '">' . $row['realName'] . '</a>:

also
<div class="shout_date">'. date('M. d Y - g:ia', $row['value2']).'</div>

<div class="shout_date">'. timeformat($row['value2']).'</div>

now the timeformat will show what the user has selected and not the default that was defined for this.

i dont use that colorize mod but this uses the same code as the other layout so it may fix that issue as well.

lurkalot

Quote from: illori on April 02, 2017, 03:21:04 PM
TPShout.template.php

' . $row['realName'] . ':

<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=profile;u=' . $row['value5'] . '">' . $row['realName'] . '</a>:

also
<div class="shout_date">'. date('M. d Y - g:ia', $row['value2']).'</div>

<div class="shout_date">'. timeformat($row['value2']).'</div>

now the timeformat will show what the user has selected and not the default that was defined for this.

i dont use that colorize mod but this uses the same code as the other layout so it may fix that issue as well.

Thank you illori, that's spot on.  O0

Afer

illori, I will try your suggestion and see.

...this morning I adapted a workaround for what I needed.

1. ucommented all bubbles.

2.select bubbles @ settings.

the result is the standard look with all user colors and avatars. (I shifted date to right &  color)

Add after suggested fix:
THank you illori - that worked for me as well :D