TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:29:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,158
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 106
  • Total: 106

Dumb problem

Started by sturmkatze, February 06, 2016, 09:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturmkatze

Link to my forum: http://www.reenactor.net/zz_ludusmilitis/index.php
SMF version: 1.1.21
TP version: 1.104
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: Imperial1
Browser Name and Version: Firefox
Mods installed:
Buy Me A Beer    1.4
SMF Ranks    1.1
Custom Profile Field Mod
TinyPortal    1.083
Ultimate Profile
Related Error messages: Won't let me edit articles

Okay, so here's the dumb problem. The guy who owned the domain forgot/blew it off and so some Chinese place has it. Okay. However, where do I have to go in the database to change it so it is on this server and a subdomain of my main site? At least I can fix stuff then. No matter what, it won't let me log in, even when I CAN get to the main page, with no theme. When I go to log in, it tries to go to the spammer site.

Ken.

Hi sturmkatze

This sounds like an SMF issue, not TinyPortal.
If someone has control of the site I don't know how you would work around that, but in any case you will need to ask over on SMF.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

WillyP

As I understand you, you have control of the server, the hosting, ie, you have access to the files through ftp and the database through cPanel, etc... but you lost ownership of the former domain?

If so, you need to go to SMF and get a file called "repair_settings.php". Follow the instructions there.

That's after you set the domain server correctly so the new domain points to your host. And set up cPanel to point that domain to the folder you files are in. Which it does look like you've done already.

sturmkatze

Ahh, that's it. Repair-settings. Brain fart on my part. Thanks.  :)

sturmkatze

Not sure if this shouldn't be in a diff thread... but...

Okkaaaaaayyyy. Got in, fixed most of it. I updated the info above now that I can see site. Problem, I can see the TP pages, but art is not showing. Some I know how to do, but others, well, it won't let me edit the pages. When I click on them (a couple show no titles for some reason also) the edit windows are empty. I did run repair settings. I fixed the theme path. I plan to update this to SMF 2. whatever. (Which version of TP to install after?). It wasn't done a couple years back as the guy who owned the domain didn't want that. Anyway, that's all done now. I need to update it and should have just followed my instincts.

What do you all recommend? I didn't want to update anything until I get it working, as I figured it would REALLY be screwed up otherwise.

Thanks for help!!

WillyP

Yes, get it working before updating... one headache at a time ;)

However, I do know some older versions of TP had some bugs in the article system, so maybe that is the problem. Maybe someone else might have more specific knowledge of that.

Setting up a test forum and upgrading that would give you some clue as to whether that would solve that issue.

Skhilled

What exactly do you mean by " well, it won't let me edit the pages"? Do you mean edit something in the admin or you're trying to edit a file using a file editor?

As far as the art (images?) not showing, I've looked at the link you've provided and the images are either missing or not in their correct locations. Right-click on a missing image and select "View Image Info". It will show the proper location for the image...where it should be located. It will also tell you the name and size of the image. If you see "0px x 0px" then the image is not in its correct location. You must upload or move the images to their correct folders.

I'm also not sure what you mean by the titles not showing but an screenshot would help.

I also see you are using a theme based on the Core theme...I think. The forum is SMF 1.1.21 and will need to be updated for the current SMF version...if the creator has plans for that. If you plan on using that same theme then you might want to get it to updated and contact the theme's creator for additional assistance.

http://www.sturmkatze.com/

I also suggest trying to get things working with the default SMF theme for that SMF version. This way you'll know if you are having a theme issue or not. If it works with both themes then you're good! ;)