TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 98
  • Total: 98

Block ideas..

Started by bloc, November 17, 2014, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Sorry I'm late on parade again, still renovating our house.

Great ideas there their bloc, liking your way of thinking as always.  O0

G6Cad

Same here, late as usual  :P

A lot of driving and long days in nov dec hahaha X-mas knocking on the door.

I like the idea of the way you want to show and create discussions for movies, ( but still liked your "blogg site" best, just because it was simple and not cluttered up )

But the again, im totally off the "show all and everything everywhere" sites now, dont know if it is an age thing, but i feel that less is more, a lot often now. And easy looking sites with less things in them that takes focus from the main thing you want to show are more fun IMHO.

I somewhat looks for sites that show the things im interested in, moves, photos etc, but there are very few i like to saty on and keep following, just because they mostly have a lot of other crap that disturb the eyes, and to me, i want to feel the relaxings things on the net now. Hard to explain, but somekind of site, where you find nothing else but the content you are looking for or want to see. A moviesite, without all the crap in it like IMDB, If i want to see or know about a movie, i miss a site that just have a review, simple and up straight, IMDB have a lot going on all the time, but the simpleness, im missing out of.
Less is more kind o a site.
That were the thing i liked most from your own site Bloc, where you only had one simple blog, with small notes about the movues you saw, and also the imagecreations you made, great images, shown in a simple way, with the info needed. I never got tired of being there, it was easy, and informative, in a short nice way. :D

bloc

Thanks. :) I haven't updated it in a while...maybe time to get back in it. Its Protendo driven, and even a few versions back on that too hahha. :)

But yeah..I think maybe a lot of the simplicity on there comes from a very "clean" theme being used..and of course the viewtypes(blog,gallery) were made without bloat at all. Those ideas/features will be added into this BAC mod too, so you should see the same there eventually. Current theme (Studio001) at blocthemes is more busy, with background images etc.

But I think the block features too will be simpler than its counterparts in TP or other portals. Thats one of the goals anyway. :) This one type of block described above is more like a proof of concept using OOP in block creation. Ideally it should rather point to a topic using the "movie type" boardview, like on my blog. I just haven't transferred the code over to the BAC mod yet.

WillyP

Maybe it could be adapted to reviews of things like games, game maps, etc...

I was also thinking along similar lines.  Music related stuff in my case, youtube vids, sound cloud, and Reverbnation tracks.  And of course, gear reviews.

bloc

Exactly. Its relative easy to add "fetchers" to these, Soundcloud also has a "embed" feature i think. Reverbnation I am not sure..

Because that is what the movie block does, fetching and caching info from Internet Movie Database. Others could follow the same, the block could be generic with 1) image upload, 2) text, 3) a rating value 4) poll id and last: a fetcher which could be selected 5) youtube/soundcloud/vimeo/imdb etc. Again, since the info is cached it will be quick between the updates. The IMDB I only let update itself every 24 hours. Youtube videos are of course directly streamed.

lurkalot

Quote from: WillyP on November 24, 2014, 04:48:12 PM

Maybe it could be adapted to reviews of things like games, game maps, etc...

Apologies  WillyP, I somehow modified your post, instead of quoting it.  I've used SMF long enough, you'd think I'd know how to operate it by now.  :-[ This was my bit.

"I was also thinking along similar lines.  Music related stuff in my case, youtube vids, sound cloud, and Reverbnation tracks.  And of course, gear reviews. "

WillyP

np, I've hit modify instead of quote a few times myself.

ZarPrime

So Bloc --- Have you built the YouTube mod into your portal then? I really like the looks of the block creation image you attached.  It looks very cool and easy to use.

bloc

Yes, the Youtube block is already there + the combined one. Right now I am working on the BACViews part, thats the part where boards are assigned to blog/gallery/etc.

ZarPrime

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen this trailer yet?

http://youtu.be/OMOVFvcNfvE