TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 190
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 119
  • Total: 119

Themes Question or Poll?

Started by Maxx1, August 23, 2014, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxx1

Do we really need a drop down menu in our themes?

What do you all think?

regards,
Maxx
But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

Freddy

Themes don't necessarily need drop downs on the main site. I removed drop downs from my main menu when I redid my site aidreams.co.uk

Maxx1

Yes I kinda like them , but they are not really needed, must now days stuff, Does not have drop downs and something I think there too much clutter in the forums, I feel myself that the only ones that may benefit from them are the staff ... even in admin I disable the Drop down, and use the old menu list! :

I working on a theme that I want to simplify things, and clean out all the clutter, too bust is distracting to the visitor IMO.

regards,
Maxx

Freddy

Yeah I kept the drop downs in the admin sections, but I don't really use them much, I just didn't feel like redesigning things in the back end, most of my effort is for what the members see.

Maxx1

Yes I'm gonna leave them alone in the admin, use or no use ...up to the staff, but for members they don't really need them:) Gonna strip out allot of stuff, and make a basic template theme, I hope!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I think it's more of a matter of preference. Some like themes one way and others a different way.

G6Cad

Quote from: Skhilled on August 23, 2014, 11:26:14 PM
I think it's more of a matter of preference. Some like themes one way and others a different way.

Have to agree on that. Doesent matter what theme, what colors, what features a thememaker does to a theme, there are always, and i say ALWAYS people that want the theme, but make changes to the entire work to suit their own thoughts and sites.

I have always wanted to have a "blank" theme, no colors, no direct layout, but instead have like a puzzle, bits that can be imported to the framework with some sort of theme engine, and then in there, they can choose colors, layouts, menues etc.
That way there are only one theme, with an engine that makes everyone able to build their own theme in a way they like it.

Again, my own thought, that probably never will work in any way, but it would be nice if it did :D hahaha

Maxx1

Yes that sounds like something Bloc could do and work well, But I think he has thoughts of his own. and the TP to consider Now :) I know some are picky and have their own ideas, but the theme I do is the way I see it. I also have some tuts on how to make your own drop down if they care to learn! lol! I keep going back ward, I get stuck in the old looks again. :)

He has done some in the past!

regards,
Maxx

bloc

Quote from: G6Cad on August 24, 2014, 10:59:45 AM
Quote from: Skhilled on August 23, 2014, 11:26:14 PM

Have to agree on that. Doesent matter what theme, what colors, what features a thememaker does to a theme, there are always, and i say ALWAYS people that want the theme, but make changes to the entire work to suit their own thoughts and sites.

I have always wanted to have a "blank" theme, no colors, no direct layout, but instead have like a puzzle, bits that can be imported to the framework with some sort of theme engine, and then in there, they can choose colors, layouts, menues etc.
That way there are only one theme, with an engine that makes everyone able to build their own theme in a way they like it.

Again, my own thought, that probably never will work in any way, but it would be nice if it did :D hahaha

Its funny you mention this..in a SMF theme I am working on now, I put a little more thought into a "boxes" approach, in that you can decide the layout of 3-4 "sections" on top..the logo/user part, the news part, the menu part and the linktree part. That makes the theme a little more flexible in that some would prefer menu on top, while other prefer logo on top. it won't look just the same in every site, theres some variation already now. It occurs to me that most site owners wanting to use free themes, want them also to be a little unique.So every bit helps I guess.

Don't know if I will expand anymore on that feature, it prob. reflects the block mentality put into TP right now haha. And of course the wish to do something new, preferably also useful, with themes in general. So...small steps. :D

Quote from: Maxx1 on August 23, 2014, 09:00:59 PM
Do we really need a drop down menu in our themes?

What do you all think?

regards,
Maxx

I like dropdowns..but they are limited in use if you take into account smartphones and tablets. So I think the option to transfer roll-over dropdown to press-slide down is absolutely necessary for a theme to be useful. At least if you want all mediums to be using it.

But theres other ways for menu, not just dropdown. Droplines for example..saves space. Also careful put linked items that go where the dropdown subitems normally go, could be interesting. The real problem is that whether the menu contains links that are vital for people to find. Or can these links be placed elsewhere or even ignored? In SMF all major links take you to the correct place, with sub links within that page..you don't really need the direct links..but its nice to quickly get to them by a dropdown/menu too.

Maxx1

I can see the pros and cons, but some things in the SMF are duplicated in some ways over kill, I guess I create a neat drop down and let in there, and do away with other stuff..

If anyone cares to follow what I doing in way cutting out the fat:

http://smf.surfacethemes.com/index.php

Please it's just a start got lots to do, and thing not ligned up yet, but still hard at it and this can be done in dark or medium as well!
I just tired ot the ordinary from looks,and I love SMF, so lets see what can be done in that!

regards,
Maxx