TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72

Ready for TP 1.1 yet?

Started by IchBin, February 16, 2014, 08:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

And to add: there was an attempt to port TP to Elkarte. I am not sure how that is now, but it wasn't exactly cheered forward. I may remember wrong, but I think there was some resistance to it, since Elkarte would seemingly have its own "portal" features anyway.And why not? But using something already existing was not in the cards, and I can underatnd that.

Just another example of what I just said though, as long as someone else is calling the shots, you can't count on having the freedom you need to reach your goals.And thats why forking is important - even if it doesn't pan out in the end popularity-wise.

Maxx1

Even though they all may not be, or can not be.
I have seen what you are capable of achieving, working your magic integrating the  Blog, gallery and side panels into to the same, with Admin controls and all. Let us keep in mind but at same time forget about what they doing.( please), for now, I'm thinking more of what you can do and have done already! I know allot of it shows in Protendo and the past things you have toyed with. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if someone can take it to the level where it will be useful to all users , not just the forum, although SMF is the best for me at this point, and I see Protedo looking very  promising.
The only things that are ( maybe ) missing are the things I know you can do or have already done at one point or another. Yes I test Wedge just like everyone else's systems, but even though I see it very useful and full of surprise.
And I have mentioned to Nao and the others, I can't work that well with those skins and some of the code they use.

I will not take anyone's side on these things ( not saying anyone is here is though) and I appreciate everyone and what they are doing. What you mentioned of Elkarte, I did not know am not that familiar with it just started testing it out. Just looking from a far!

I have seen many that want someone to put word press into SMF, or the other way around and I know this can not be done, or not may not be feasible, however a system that would do both, well that would be something worth looking into!

Sorry if I'm hard to understand at times, but hope this explains my vision some :)

regards,
Maxx
But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

emanuele

Hi all!
Sorry for the "kind of" necroposting (all in all, it's 1 year old, but it's also still in the first page, so it's not exactly necro :P), but it's a while I'm not around here and so I read the topic only now. O:-)

Quote from: Nolt on February 22, 2014, 11:50:22 AM
For sure you are right, but what happens with for ex. Elkarte or Protendo if main developers will leave the procject?
Who is the "main developer" of ElkArte?
If you ask me, there isn't one.

Quote from: Nolt on February 22, 2014, 11:50:22 AM
I'm not sure that there is so many devs who want to continue their work.
That's not false for SMF itself. In 2013 when ElkArte started, basically the only "official" SMF developer was Oldiesmann (I was still in the team, but I was not really contributing *that* much).

Quote from: bloc on February 22, 2014, 03:30:45 PM
Do you honestly think Elkarte would be interested in my boardtype ideas? Or that Wedge would be remotely interested in my ideas about themes - seeing as Nao have already dismissed the concept of themes altogether?
Regarding boards, I have plans to use a board to create blogs and have a gallery (I already have some code, but I have to work on it), but I'm not sure if/how that fits into what you wrote here.
You cannot know if someone is interested in something unless you present it (at least that's how I think it usually works).
The only "downside" of ElkArte is that even if someone likes it, unless there is someone (else) coding it, a proposal will not go that far. :P ...but that's true for any project.

Quote from: bloc on February 22, 2014, 03:36:22 PM
I may remember wrong, but I think there was some resistance to it,
If I can be completely honest, the only resistance was the complexity of the code.
Spuds tried to convert it, but after a while he switched to SP.
I'm sure it's not a secret (and if it is a secret... well, I didn't know it was :P), TP code *is* complex, and when you have to make a choice, do you pick the one that will take lot of time to convert, or the one that has already a certain orientation (strictly code-wise speaking) that match the one you are using in the rest of the application and allows you to have a working portal in a reasonable amount of time?

That said, of course if you want to try the conversion you are welcome, diversity is always important and have alternatives is a good thing! :D

since Elkarte would seemingly have its own "portal" features anyway.And why not? But using something already existing was not in the cards, and I can underatnd that.
Actually it was (use existing code) and has been. ;)
I'm well aware of my limits, and reinvent the wheel is not my favorite sport, if I can use existing code I'm happy to do so. 8) (And as far as I know Spuds, TE and anyone else contributing share the same idea.)
And, that said, I proposed to include some kind of "portal-like" features in the code, and with the "not reinvent the wheel" idea in mind, I would like to have a kind of common ground for addons: call them widgets or blocks or whatever, but something that could be reused by multiple addons without having to rewrite everything every time. Well, still nothing except ideas, so difficult to go more in details, but there is a topic somewhere at elkarte.net.

Just another example of what I just said though, as long as someone else is calling the shots, you can't count on having the freedom you need to reach your goals.And thats why forking is important - even if it doesn't pan out in the end popularity-wise.
Well, I proposed several things for ElkArte.
Several have been accepted, several have not.
I wrote a lot of code that has been ignored, taken down, or that simply didn't fit with what other thought.
It's part of the game.

Of course, if you want to entirely drive the development without having to care about the opinion of anyone else, then going solo is the only way.
That doesn't mean you cannot contribute to other projects: you work on your idea, and then you propose it. If it is accepted good, if it is not good anyway, something unique to your project.
The trick is: this is true only as long as the code is close enough to the originator.

* emanuele goes sleep again.

Bye!

iain.sherriff

Hi
I'm doing a refresh/reinstall on a forum
TP 1.0.

I get the sources/QueryString.php error.
having read the topic in SMF main forum I'm not sure whether to use the entire TP 1.1 update here
or whether to edit my QueryString.php ?

Which do you suggest..............if it is the edit I'm not clear what I need to change  ???
thanks

lurkalot

Just thought I'd update this thread a little. TP is still alive and kicking.  We have Tinyportal just about ready to release to the public.  Not too many changes since Brad posted the first post, but here they are,

What's new in TP 1.1

General Updates:

• General code clean-up.
  • Removed SMF1.x support.
  • Removed Tagging system, as it never really worked out.
  • Added read more link for forum posts as articles on front page.
  • Changed error logging when guests try to hit non-existing articles.
  • Added guest permission for comments
  • Updated social icons for sharing article
  • A little bit of caching added. Should reduce some queries.
  • Using more hooks for less file edits to install.
  • Moved the promote button to integrate_display_buttons hook, instead of being in its own space/layer.
  • Fixed errors with "forum_name" and "subtabs".
  • Several cosmetic changes overall, less use of TP styles and more of common SMF styles.

Shoutbox updates:

• Added ajax to shout/delete without page refresh.
  • Added timer to ajax update shouts for time specified.
  • The option to submit the shout by pressing enter.
  • Option to choose between 2 layouts.
  • Added option to allow/disallow links in shoutbox.
  • Shout smiley's should now pull from SMF smiley's.
  • Added "bubble" style to shouts, pure CSS-based.
  • Fixed long-time error with guest shouts.
  • Added option to set a shout-header, using HTML/BBC tags.
  • Single-shout block-code upgraded with newer code.
  • Add browser specific CSS to handle word-wrapping in shouts.

Ken.

Good move Mick, we are so looking forward to this release!   O0
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.