TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 69
  • Total: 70
  • @rjen

Snow in Terre Haute Indiana USA

Started by GhostRider2110, January 28, 2009, 02:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostRider2110

Here in Terre Haute Indiana, we will get maybe 9-11" of snow total during the winter months... Usually one "big" snow of about 2-3" then rest just dusting here and there.. Well in the last 2 days we have gotten 9".  Wife and kids are home as the schools and most everything else is closed for the day.. well all but the college I work at...  :tickedoff:    Here are a couple pic's of our dog this morning as he went out to "do his business".. He really didn't know what to think and almost didn't go outside... but the urge was to strong...  :2funny:  My son Cory went out to measure the snow and Gallagher did go out with him and was bounding around the yard for a few then bolted back inside... ...

Hope all are having a good day!!!! I would rather be out at the flying field right now... sky's on my planes !!!

--Mitch
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster Terre Haute R/C Club http://www.thrcc.org
US Scale Master Midwest Region Manager http://www.ussma-midwest.org
Proud member of the 1/8th Air Force http://www.oneeighthairforce.org
CoffeeCup Software Ambassador Get 20% Off

ZarPrime

It's been a little bit of a rough week here as well.  I'm in West Virginia, right in the middle of this ice storm.  We had about 6 inches of snow the other day, an ice storm yesterday and last night until about midnight, and then it started raining.  At noon today, it's supposed to cool off again, and start snowing again.  This has been one of the strangest winters I can ever remember.  I kind of wish I was still young enough to appreciate the snow so I could be out building a snowman or something.  I feel for you man.

ZarPrime

IchBin

It has never ceased to amaze me how easily other city's just shut everything down when it snows. Here in Utah, it takes a good 12 inches before they start even thinking about shutting down any schools etc. Has been a strange winter for us as well. We didn't even get snow until the second week of December. I thought to myself, "Oh crap, water shed is going to be at an all time low!". But since then, we have had snow quite often. And in some cases we had almost 2 feet in my front yard. One thing we don't get though, is the ice storms that the east coast gets. Not enough humidity here.

JPDeni

There's a lot of difference in the equipment that different cities own. When a place doesn't get much snow, it's not cost-effective to buy a lot of snowplows that just sit there, possibly never being used for several years at a time. When we had our big snow last December, they were comparing the amount of snow equipment, number of miles of roads that need to be cleared and number of days that they are needed between Seattle and Minneapolis, which are comparable in population. Minneapolis has about 20 times more plows per mile than Seattle does, but when you factor in the number of days, Seattle was actually ahead of Minneapolis. (plows per mile per day that they're needed)

As bad as it was for a couple of weeks right before Christmas, I doubt that we'll see any accumulated snow again this year.

IchBin

I agree about that. But my point was, that 4 inches of snow shouldn't shut a city down, even if they don't have snow plows. Its still drivable IMO. Of course, thats coming from someone who has grown up in it. lol

ZarPrime

I can agree with this as well.  I learned to drive in heavy snow when I was very young because back then we had some pretty good snows.  But I can tell you this for a fact.  The worst thing that can happen to you where I live is to get beyond somebody from Florida or another state where they don't have much snow, trying to drive with an inch or 2 of snow on the ground.  They're not used to it because they've never been taught how to deal with it. :D

ZP

IchBin

I some times wonder if the Utahn's here are from Florida. lol

Ken.

Back in the late 80's in Spartanburg, SC there was a snow fall of 4-5 inches (maybe slightly more) that shut down the entire town for several days because they were not equipped to clear the roads.
They did have snow removal equipment, just not any that was heavy duty enough to deal with what they had received.

It all comes down to what you are accustom to seeing and how you deal with the exception to the norm. :)
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Crip

Back in 93 we got 3foot of ice then snow , that pretty much shut our little city down for 5 days ...... yes I remember it well cooking on our Wood Stove we used for our heating...
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes