TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 172
  • Total: 172

Themes Question or Poll?

Started by Maxx1, August 23, 2014, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddy

Yes, minimalist seems to be the way to go with any type of website now. A lot is due to mobile becoming a major thing to design for. So really these days like has been alluded to we need to think of how it looks on a variety of devices. Also things like buttons are getting bigger and simpler for the same reasons.

A while back I redesigned one of my sites with an adaptive layout. Try resizing your browser on it, you'll see it adapts...

http://www.chatterbotcollection.com/index.php

Maxx1

looks Nice and the responsiveness is there as well, I can only go far with that on SMF, unless I convert some table to divs or cells, but I can do the Upper parts and the footers, but once you get a portals or mods, then the trouble ...
begins :) at least for me...This why I like the Protendo's direction. I wish for the best to you Bloc.. !!

regards,
maxx
But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

Skhilled

Quote from: G6Cad on August 24, 2014, 10:59:45 AM
Quote from: Skhilled on August 23, 2014, 11:26:14 PM
I think it's more of a matter of preference. Some like themes one way and others a different way.

Have to agree on that. Doesent matter what theme, what colors, what features a thememaker does to a theme, there are always, and i say ALWAYS people that want the theme, but make changes to the entire work to suit their own thoughts and sites.

I have always wanted to have a "blank" theme, no colors, no direct layout, but instead have like a puzzle, bits that can be imported to the framework with some sort of theme engine, and then in there, they can choose colors, layouts, menues etc.
That way there are only one theme, with an engine that makes everyone able to build their own theme in a way they like it.

Again, my own thought, that probably never will work in any way, but it would be nice if it did :D hahaha

I've though of something similar myself some years ago. But from a coding perspective, it would probably be a nightmare and probably not free. But it certainly would be nice. ;)

Quote from: bloc on August 24, 2014, 01:32:17 PM
I like dropdowns..but they are limited in use if you take into account smartphones and tablets. So I think the option to transfer roll-over dropdown to press-slide down is absolutely necessary for a theme to be useful. At least if you want all mediums to be using it.

I think phones and tablets are taking up a major portion of the market now. So, websites and themes need to focus on them and how it looks on those devices. The problem is that it doesn't always look the same on all devices and extra coding will be needed to ensue they do.

Maxx1

+1 I've been saying this for years now :) but some get stuck on the old and I. the old I stuck on the new!

and not just saying it I've been doing it, from the time PHPNuke and PostNuke and the other version of the same ideas, started I was , throwing out images and using CSS of of a sort, and using tiny images to replace the bigger ones, when the Internet was so slow, (:

I like graphics, but now days, they are limited to content and ads... yes, I've been doing this stuff for many years

regards,
Maxx
But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!