TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

DzinerStudio is closing down December 31, 2016

Started by lurkalot, October 09, 2016, 05:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Just seen the announcement that DzinerStudio is closing down December 31, 2016

I've used a few of their early free themes over the years, and always thought they produced some very creative work.  Kind of sad really, they've been around for ages.

Anyway, you can check out the announcement here, http://www.dzinerstudio.com/index.php?topic=9262.0

bloc

Not that surprised though, failing sales and all that. And not having an interest in just doing stuff for free its not suprising that they throw in the towel. Also,IMHO not making their themes responsive might have something to do with lack of interest from users - because the designs themselves have never been the issue, almost all of them are very nice.

Would be great to see those for Elkarte for example. :) But sadly I've never seen an interest for converting to other SMF forks.

Ken.

Sad to see them go, through the years I've used a few of their free themes and have enjoyed them a lot.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

lurkalot

Agreed, it is a shame, always sad to see these things, but it's getting more common nowadays. I've only really used a couple of the freebie themes over the years, especially the Xmas one which is imo one of the best looking xmas themes out there. I do look in occasionally to see what they're up to.

bloc, I'm surprized they never really moved on with the responsive side of things, perhaps this would have happened if the next version of SMF had been out, but I don't know the reasons for holding back. 

william777

Yes, indeed it is dad to see them throw in the towel. I had also used a couple of their themes and I found them very creative and pleasing to the eye.

bloc

Quote from: lurkalot on October 16, 2016, 11:22:48 AM
Agreed, it is a shame, always sad to see these things, but it's getting more common nowadays. I've only really used a couple of the freebie themes over the years, especially the Xmas one which is imo one of the best looking xmas themes out there. I do look in occasionally to see what they're up to.

bloc, I'm surprized they never really moved on with the responsive side of things, perhaps this would have happened if the next version of SMF had been out, but I don't know the reasons for holding back. 

According to their topic it seems they are looking at other markets, probably Wordpress. Which can be tough because there are so many providers there.

SMF is small market, even smaller nowadays, I don't think you can survive as a theme provider without staying ahead of the others. DZ hasn't done this, and floated on that thinking for years. They were reliable themes, yes, but played it to safe IMO.

For my part I've dropped SMF - 2.0 line is old now and 2.1 haven't really taken those jumps it should have. Elkarte on the other hand..has evolved in bounds and leaps. :) Thats why I am focusing my theme projects for that platform now, because its a growing, living thing with exciting features that still are mods on SMF. I will (of course) pick apart stuff there too lol, but IMHO its the SMF 3 we never got.