TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 239
  • Total: 239

TinyPortal and future

Started by Nolt, May 29, 2013, 12:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

Well, I can't talk for Elkarte, but my own fork is quite compatible with SMF 2.0.x line. I am rather expanding SMF without great upheavels as the 2 other major ones atm: Wedge & Elkarte ..similar to TP in a way, which is why I am looking at porting TP to it as a core feature.

SMF 2.1..well, if IchBin wants to update TP to work with SMF 2.1 thats great. For myself I am not too keen, as I don't see things I like to be expanded upon in 2.1, both in themes departement and towards what TP offers as a mini CMS,, so my enthusiam is somewhat curbed. But, SMF 2.0 is still the stable version.

IMHO more worrying is that TP don't evolve much with its current developing speed. No wonder perhaps, I fear the coding is very colored by my coding style and way of structure, thus its hard to just jump in for others - perhaps.

IchBin

Quote from: Nolt on June 04, 2013, 11:27:06 AM
Really sad to hear this :/ TP was built for SMF and should stay in that way, I think we - TP community - will lose lot of users if we focus at forks rather than original SMF development.
For me forks should be an option for TP not primary target, idk guys if you check or test SMF but 2.1 is in good shape. People made thousand of forks just because SMF is open source now. Lot of forks already died... in near future there will be lot of forks without any good support. You think its a good way?ofc not.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I'm not in this for the users. I'm in this for my own selfish joy. lol  Not that I don't care about users. But if TP dies, that will not be because of a single developer or two. It will be because the community around it doesn't care enough to work on it. TP is also open source, therefore available for anyone to take it and do what they want with it. It is a steep learning curve. In part because Bloc was in process of changing things, in part because it got big enough that it was too hard to maintain I think. I don't fault Bloc for that. He was giving everyone what they wanted. And did a damn fine job considering this was his learning curve.

I actually have done a little work on TP lately. Although it has mostly been done in the shoutbox so that it can use ajax now instead of refreshing the page. Don't know what I'll continue to do, but if I get the itch and have some free time I don't see why I wouldn't continue to make TP a little better. Depends on a lot of things though. lol

With the way that SMF is going, I'd suggest you keep your eye on the forks. In particular because SMF really only has 2 developers. Of those two developers, only one of them is a senior developer IMO. The SMF team has created an environment that doesn't emulate what an open source project really is. It's dying a slow death IMO. Hence the reason I am watching other forks to see what happens. Wedge and Elkarte are doing pretty darn good so far.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TP work with SMF 2.1 alpha at this point. There hasn't been that many major changes to keep it from doing so.

bloc

I saw that :) Very nice. 

I do hope others would work on TP in true open source spirit, but I fear most times its just a few individuals that want to and are able to. Just as many of the bigger SMF mods were created and maintained by one or a few. SMF is a bit bigger..but there haven't been that many forks, and those that work on them are somehow connected to previous development on SMF.

Its also been asked why those forks cannot cooperate instead. Well, as Brad says, the SMF team system is rather closed, and not raelly suitable for real open source working methods, and with the "oversight" board in there too, its rather limited. The fork devs around seems pretty determinant to go their own way as well, (including myself unfortunately) so Elkarte is ATM the one with most people actively working on it. Plus they use GitHub as developing base.

We just have to see I guess, and be glad there are people that want to bring SMF further even if its outside the SMF team.

sangham.net

Even maybe a alien resource, it might bring it to the very point and maybe worthy some thoughts:

Quote from: accesstoinsight.orgSangaha Sutta: The Bonds of Fellowship
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1997–2013

"There are these four grounds for the bonds of fellowship. Which four? Generosity, kind words, beneficial help, consistency. These are the four grounds for the bonds of fellowship."

Generosity, kind words, beneficial help,
& consistency in the face of events,
in line with what's appropriate
in each case, each case.

These bonds of fellowship [function]
in the world like the linchpin in a moving cart.
Now, if these bonds of fellowship were lacking,
a mother would not receive the honor
& respect owed by her child,
nor would a father receive what his child owes him.
But because the wise show regard for these bonds of fellowship,
they achieve greatness and are praised.

Quote from: accesstoinsight.orgHatthaka Sutta: About Hatthaka (2) AN 8.24
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 2004–2013

On one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Alavi at the Aggalava Shrine. Then Hatthaka of Alavi, surrounded by approximately 500 [other] lay followers, went to the Blessed One. On arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed One, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there the Blessed One said to him, "Large is your following, Hatthaka. How have you won over this large following?"

"Lord, I have won over this large following through the four grounds for the bonds of fellowship taught by the Blessed One. When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by giving,' then I win him/her over by giving. When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by kind words,' then I win him/her over by kind words. When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by beneficial help,' then I win him/her over by beneficial help.[1] When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by consistency,' then I win him/her over by consistency.[2] Awed by the wealth of my family, they regard me as worth listening to, which would not be the case if I were poor."

"It's good, Hatthaka, it's very good that this is the means by which you have won over a large following. All those in the past who have won over a large following have done so by means of these four same grounds for the bonds of fellowship. All those in the future who will win over a large following will do so by means of these four same grounds for the bonds of fellowship. All those at present who are winning over a large following do so by means of these four same grounds for the bonds of fellowship."

Then, having been instructed, urged, roused, & encouraged by the Blessed One with a talk on Dhamma, Hatthaka of Alavi got up from his seat, bowed down to the Blessed One, circled him — keeping him on his right — and left. Not long after he had left, the Blessed One said to the monks, "Monks, remember Hatthaka of Alavi as being endowed with eight amazing, astounding qualities. Which eight? Hatthaka of Alavi is endowed with conviction. He is virtuous. He has a sense of conscience. He has a sense of concern (for the results of unskillful actions). He is learned. He is generous. He is discerning. He is modest. Remember Hatthaka of Alavi as being endowed with these eight amazing, astounding qualities."

Truly! So strive to be one of them. Or like to get a random Sutta?

If you like to get involved in helping developing an "Virtual monastery" to make the internet a little more accessible for Monks, Nuns and Ascetics, please feel heartily invited to join our bilingual community at sangham.net

Nolt

Quote from: IchBin™
I wouldn't be surprised to see TP work with SMF 2.1 alpha at this point. There hasn't been that many major changes to keep it from doing so.

Of course it works, with some minor bugs but works pretty well :)

Maxx1

I'm testing and working on so many things at the moment, but I think I do remember testing the TP on the alpha and reported my finding to Brad, But that was when the alpha was released, so now I'll need to check it out again with the latest fixes and see, when ever time permits, I have also worked on the CSS stuff for TP to better it blend in with the darker themes by removing the background and lite colour borders, the white (#FFF) and replacing with transparent on the fields and image BG's ... the little arrow image to transparency or to match the theme, and some cases done away with... and themes I do or customize have these included, so they blend with TP.

Have to agree that SMF is not moving very well, But I think that may have been due to too muck talk and head banging, than moving forward, among ( possible Legal Stuff ) What shame it's still may favorite of all I have tested thus far..

I do like the alpha direction, except for a few changes that could very well be made by the user, that is if the get all their stuff finished, I also found allot of 2.02 + themes worked at that time, well with the 2.1 alpha, with minor changes in the index.template and CSS stuff, the only issue is when and how to move it forward >>
The alpha theme seems nice to customize and edit, my only concern is what all file are needed there? seems like allot of files! :)

regards,
Maxx

But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

Maxx1

OK Just an FYI,

Tried to install the TP on the Elkarte 1.0 alpha, now not complaining just for info purpose, I found the following errors, and did not really expect it to go smooth, and I know it's too early and an Alpha, however info may be useful?
and I'm liking the Elkarte so far!

Please find 2 screen shots of the errors found!

regards,
Maxx
But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

IchBin

Looks like someone else has already started the work on it. Give this a try and see how it goes.
https://github.com/engelnyst/TinyPortal

Lesmond

Quote from: IchBin™ on June 07, 2013, 04:37:30 PM
Looks like someone else has already started the work on it. Give this a try and see how it goes.
https://github.com/engelnyst/TinyPortal
WOW would be nice if they let us know here!

IchBin

He's actually one of the guys currently working on the elkarte project and used to be a former SMF dev IIRC. Would be nice, but he posted it at Elkarte.