TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Started by ZarPrime, November 25, 2012, 09:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZarPrime

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the 1st Hobbit film, will be released on December 14th, 2012.  The film will be released in 6 different versions, 2D @ 24 fps (frames per second), 2D @ 48 fps, 3D @ 24 fps, 3D @ 48 fps, IMAX3D @ 24 fps, and IMAX3D @ 48 fps.

When Director Peter Jackson showed a 10 minute series of 48 fps clips from the film at CinemaCon, it was surprising that there were actually some complaints about the faster frame rate.  It seems that some people couldn't quite get used to such life-like images in just 10 minutes of viewing the clips.  How silly is that?  From this website (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/128113-why-movies-are-moving-from-24-to-48-fps), it was explained that ...

In technology, where more is almost always better, it is unusual to hear complaints about something getting faster. Some viewers of the preview complained that the scenes were "too real" — the 48 fps recording rendering the action so lifelike that they had trouble remembering that Middle Earth was supposed to be a fantasy. Other viewers missed the languid feel of traditional 24 fps movies. Unconsciously, we're also used to 30 fps and above content being "made for TV," and are accustomed to feature films showing at the lower 24 fps rate.

Another website talks about the 48 fps future of movies and explains that, by the end of the film, fans should easily be able to embrace the new technology of the format, especially as it affects high action scenes with a lot of fast movement --> http://www.studiodaily.com/2012/04/the-hobbit-the-soap-opera-effect-and-the-48fps-and-faster-future-of-movies/

Here is another story detailing Peter Jackson's response to the 48fps criticism --> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403720,00.asp

Below is a fan made compilation of all The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey trailers and TV spots, including: Announcement trailer, Announcement trailer (G), Trailer 1, TV Spot 1 - 7, UK 1 minute TV spot, Japanese 1 minute TV Spot. Shots and sequences have been re-ordered into the possible running order of the final film.  The audio can be choppy in places as original trailer background music overlaps much of the dialogue.  Watch it in full screen and wearing a headset, if you can.

Personally speaking, I can't wait until the film comes out and, though I may not be able to see it immediately in IMAX3D @ 48fps, I plan to see it in the highest format available as soon as I can.  Awesome !!!

Maxx1

+1
I also think this will be a site to see! I love this type stuff... real art and I imagine very hard to make!

Thanks for sharing this with us Jim!

regards,
Maxx
But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

Freddy

Really looking forward to this as well.  I remember this story about a guy that went to see LOTR at the cinema and started crying.  When asked why he was crying, he explained that this was the only time in his life that he would be watching the film for the first time.

I can understand that, nothing like a first time...

bloc

Looking forward to it as well. :) Higher framerates is bad? lol, some people always dislike changes.

For some time I was in doubt if the movies was as good as the books...but now, with the hobbit coming too and the extended versions of LOTR out for quite some time, its not even a question, they are 2 entirely different experiences and equally fascinating.