TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 120
  • Total: 120

Variable cat is overridden

Started by vbgamer45, August 22, 2014, 05:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Is it possible to have the variable cat not be taken over globally or changed to tpcat
This is caused conflicts in some of my mods that make use of that variable on a mod level.

Also can someone change my username to vbgamer45 instead of my email messed up on registration....

Ken.

Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 22, 2014, 05:09:00 PM
Also can someone change my username to vbgamer45 instead of my email messed up on registration....

Done.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

lurkalot

I would have done it, but it seems I don't have those permissions for some reason.  :'(

bloc

Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 22, 2014, 05:09:00 PM
Is it possible to have the variable cat not be taken over globally or changed to tpcat
This is caused conflicts in some of my mods that make use of that variable on a mod level.
The "cat" variable is much used already as many TP users use the links it creates in custom blocks etc. Why can't your mods be changed instead?

vbgamer45

Isn't really feasible would break a lot of users links/seo as I use that variable in a lot of different mods but only locally not globally since around 2006.
Is it something new in TinyPortal. I use older tiny portal   smfhacks.com and I do not run into that issue.

If not can can I get a list of actions not to allow cat variable to overriden on?

IchBin

As far as I can remember, cat has been in TP 1.0 since it's inception. TP 0.9.8 is the version I think that didn't have any of that cat stuff (probably the version you are running). But I'm not 100% sure on that. Anytime cat is used in TP its for listing the articles in a category. I don't recall it being used in other places. Block and Articles can use it to determine whether to display information or not etc. It's not easily ripped out, that's for sure. Just like your stuff. :)

I don't think TP uses cat in any other actions or sub-actions if I remember right.  Bloc may have more details than I remember though.

bloc

Basically..TP should use assume a TP category is specified only when 1) action= isn't filled or 2) when action=tpxxx. I am not 100% sure if it does that right now, but I'll check.

ZarPrime

I think Brad is right about how long that variable has been in use. It would be a nightmare for a lot of existing TP users if we were to try to remove it now. Maybe we can take a look at this for 2.0  but I think the answer has to be "No" for now. VBGamer, put it into the bug tracker as a feature request, if that's what you want to do but we can't just remove it from the current code.