TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123

showcase posting guide

Showcase Board Posting Guide

The Showcase Board is for our Members to Showcase their sites that use SMF and TinyPortal.

Any topics for sites that no longer use TinyPortal are subject to deletion at any time, at the discretion of the TP Support Site staff.

Our FamilyForum

Started by ken.kimbrell, January 29, 2007, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

You and me both lol..I rather write a blog post somewhere than try to write something on FB. All you get are likes anywy, no-one bother to write elaborate posts. Or they write abusive comments instead :P

But I guess its no wonder..FB has such a layout that you are not encouraged to write readable and interesting stuff. Its just like SMS with a picture instead, and even more so on phones.Who want to read that more than 1 time only, and even then just barely?

Freddy

I agree. I only look on FB if I am bored. Some pages just post far too much stuff and lately I think about reducing the number of pages I am interested in hearing about daily. There's just so much junk and all those stupid 'share this and you will get loads of money' links, or just outright scams.

If it weren't for it being a handy way to keep in touch with my sister I would abandon it entirely.

Google+ is better in my opinion and so far I have been careful telling it what I am interested in.

Ken.

My experience with Facebook has been "off again, on again" over the years and I even deleted my account all together at one point. But, in the end I finally gave in and stuck with it because so many of my family were on it and that was/is the only place to communicate with some of them, especially some of the Grand-kids. Even so, several of my relatives have been placed in the 'don't follow' category because I get so tired of all the crap that they post, re post and share... like their dinner plate at the local Red Lobster!

I guess we're just stuck with the social media style of communication for now, but that plus texting on cell phones has caused us to actually disconnect from each other because it just takes too much time to post a message that contains more than 140 characters.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

bloc

Maybe actually being kept updated and write inside the phone with an app would be make people be more inclined to write on a family type site for example. I had an idea at some point to create a portal/boardtype view site that had blog,gallery and genealogy sections. But FB is hard to beat, most people don't want the hassle of registering somewhere else, not to mention getting updates from somewhere else...an app might help, along with those features FB just cannot compete with. :) And, as I use at Blocthemes, register can be easy with FB/google/tc. login options.

But maybe its pipe-dream, maybe we all lost the race years ago, to FB and similar centralized places..

Freddy

I would certainly use the Google+ login on sites. I prefer that to making yet more accounts as you say. If a site has got that I use it. I've used Facebook logins too for the same reasons. Possibly a reason to keep FB even though it's not a direct use of their services, it does make things simpler and less hassle.

lurkalot

I use Google+, Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube, and would love and would love it if my followers (the lazy gits) could login to my site via any of those. Sadly there's no good mods out there to accomplish this, other than pay through the nose for them.

bloc

Well, I use the OneAll plugin - which have a SMF mod too - and it works just fine. It makes sense to use something like that, from people that have already done the code. The free version supports up to 2500 users.

https://www.oneall.com/

lurkalot

Quote from: bloc on November 21, 2014, 11:11:58 PM
Well, I use the OneAll plugin - which have a SMF mod too - and it works just fine. It makes sense to use something like that, from people that have already done the code. The free version supports up to 2500 users.

https://www.oneall.com/

Thanks bloc, that was one of the mods I was referring to, but after checking their site again it says "Core features, basic support by email, all social networks and up to 2,500 unique users per year"  so that's not bad at all.  I'll give it a try, cheers.  O0

Ken.

+2 thanks Bloc.
Just installed the OneAll plugin to give it a try as well.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Ken.

It's time for another update of Our FamilyForum!

Please check out our Original Post and the new look for December 2015 and the Christmas Holiday theme.

Skip to the Forum