TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 77
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 54
  • Total: 54

Install questions - replacing an different portal

Started by VladTepes, March 22, 2017, 01:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladTepes

I am currently running EZ Portal and considering a change to TP.

Q1:

I am using SMFHacks Download system, which I really like and have no need to change to the TP system (even though I'm sure it works just fine)

Is the downloads manager of TP switchable on/off?  I mean if I install TP is it going to affect the existing SMFHacks DL system, or will that just continue to work as is?

Q2: Does TP offer a means of putting an icon for each board, or would that be something I'd accomplish using an SMF mod?

Q3: Are many people using the 1.2R beta on their forum on a PRODUCTION site? Any problems?

Thanks all.

lurkalot

Quote from: VladTepes on March 22, 2017, 01:15:56 AM

Q1:

I am using SMFHacks Download system, which I really like and have no need to change to the TP system (even though I'm sure it works just fine)

Is the downloads manager of TP switchable on/off?  I mean if I install TP is it going to affect the existing SMFHacks DL system, or will that just continue to work as is?

The download system can be turned on or off, so that shouldn't be a problem as such.  I haven't tested that downloads mod along side TP though to be honest so not sure if there'll be any conflicts.  Not seen any reports to that effect. 

Though I would be interested what's stopping you from using the built in D/L system. Perhaps something we can improve for future versions. I remember you mentioning the reason, but will have to search for it.

Q2: Does TP offer a means of putting an icon for each board, or would that be something I'd accomplish using an SMF mod?

Unfortunately it doesn't offer that feature, so you would need a mod for that.

Q3: Are many people using the 1.2R beta on their forum on a PRODUCTION site? Any problems?

I'm using the beta on a couple of my live sites and haven't had any issues, but like all betas there could be problems lurking which we don't know about until someone feeds it back to us.

Ken.

My site has been running TinyPortal 1.2R3 for some time with no issues.  O0
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

VladTepes

Thanks mate.

Re: Downloads

I installed the SMF Hacks download manager thing early on, before looking into portals in detail.  It is Very feature rich and flexible.  It's a great product.

Having said that I use very little of its capabilities, and everything I do use can easily be done with the TP downloads thingy. My main concerns are that I don't lose any of the info / data / structure of the downloads. Plus with the existing one (not sure if TP allows it) I can have an icon on each download section etc. 

Anyway its not a deal breaker as if I can run my existing DL setup alongside TP that'll be fine.

Re: board icons. 
No worries. :)

Re: beta.
Cool, I'll give it a go, why not ?!  :)

@rjen

I have been running the 12R version of tinyportal here: www.fjr-club.nl AND I am also using the SMFhacks Download System in my site. Works fine together.

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl