TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 336
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 338
  • Total: 338

Making a home page

Started by VladTepes, January 22, 2017, 12:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladTepes

How do i create tge home page? Ie top left header menu page.
I want to put an html page there but cant figure out how.
Help very much appreciated. Cheers

lurkalot

Sorry, not sure exactly what you mean.  Could you try and provide more detail please, and we'll try and help.

VladTepes

OK what I mean was outside of the forum - but that issue I've solved with wordpress, all good.

I did have a question regarding articles

In this thread
http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=35836.0
it says that the tutorial itself has been made using an article.

Of course I can see where and how that works BUT I can't see how that offers any point of difference to typing the same information in a forum thread.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

lurkalot

The article you mentioned is just a snippet from the TP docs site, just to draw attention, make people aware the docs exist, and point out some of the features of Tinyportal. The actual article is here. http://www.tinyportal.net/docs/index.php?page=11

illori

Quote from: VladTepes on March 22, 2017, 01:07:11 AM
Of course I can see where and how that works BUT I can't see how that offers any point of difference to typing the same information in a forum thread.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

it is up to the user/admin if they want to use an article or a topic/thread instead. IMO if the contents is not something to be discussed more presented to the user as fact then it should go in the article as it would be less likely get replies to discuss it. it really depends on the usage of the forum and why you need articles.

Ken.

As Illori points out it's up the the forum owner how much they use the article system and when information should be placed in an article instead of the forum.

For me the forum boards are mostly for conversations that may go on for many replies, or maybe for many pages of replies and even though a forum topic can be used to post the same kind of information and images that can be placed in an article, you would generally find mostly text in a topic post.
But, the big difference is that articles offer many controls and embellishments that are not found in forum topics. One example is the ability to easily select the type of article code you wish to use (HTML, PHP, BBC) and while you could do the same in a forum post to me it's nice to have the controls that are found in the article editor.
Another nice feature is the 'images quicklist', it makes placing your full size images wherever you want them in your article... the post attachment function is not designed to do the same in forum posts.

Lots of other controls can be found in your article editor.  O0
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

VladTepes

VladTepes

May I suggest that this thread be retitled to "Article System question" and the first two posts in the thread removed  ( and the first line of my next post referring to wordpress.)

The thread will then be relevant and easier for people with a  similar question to find.

Cheers